Today, I decided to do some work on Ginger’s enclosure. Once the baby chicks arrive, there will need to be some fine wire around the bottum to keep them in. I could just imagine the ruckus I would hear from Ginger if one of her chicks got out and she couldn’t defend it. I thought that my work around her would disturb Ginger Ale, but she seemed unperturbed. She got up twice during the four hours I was out there to inspect my work, potty, eat and drink, then go back to her setting.
As always happens when I start work on a chicken coop project, I end up doing way more than I set out to. I made Ginger’s enclosure a little over twice it’s original size. It had to be done before we went to bed, also, to keep out any marauding critters.
I can tell you from experience that good tools are worth the cost. They make my job so much easier. Ginger’s enclosure is just to the right of my temporary work bench on top of the nesting boxes.
It’s hard to see through the mesh, but Ginger’s little nesting box is safe inside under the wire reinforced tarp roof. It’s actually an old motorcycle cover, that’s why it’s reflective. The leaf on the mesh close to the camera had dozens of newly hatched baby spiders on it. I think spring will be early this year.
I have this post in the cycling again category because probably 90% of the materials I use for my chicken houses and enclosures are recycled from construction dumpsters, landfills, or friends’ yards.