This is my first post to my wife’s blog. I decided be on her blog as opposed to producing my own, because I am a busy person, and because we both have some pretty similar interests and views. I will be adding a new category, Cyling Again, which is a feature about recycling and a less consumerized lifestyle.
Here is a photo of how I originally had the front rack, with the washing machine top white-side-up. I had trouble attaching the back part to the fork because the fender bolt only comes out the back of the fork, and the brake hoop is directly over where the hole should come out the front. I noticed that a Wald Large Basket attaches high, up at the handlebars, so I tried to fabricate a mount that would do something similar. It attached to the Heron-stylized reflector mount, and was very flimsy. I tried several methods of reinforcement with little effect. The rack could shimmy back and forward, limiting the amount of weight I could carry up there.
Now, you see my new mounting. I first had to disassemble the rod brake, then I drilled through the fender mount hole to make a hole on the front side of the fork crown. I had an old jig for cutting circular holes in A/C duct from my duct cleaning days. The cutting bit had broken, and a replacement had never been purchased before I cut ties with that employer. It’s aluminum, as are the rack legs, but very stiff. The space in the middle is perfect for the rod brake hoop. A little bit of drilling and scrounging for hardware, and the rack was completed!
Here is another view of the finished rack. Notice that I turned the washer lid over. I felt that it gave a little more security for the load, and gave it more of a front basket feel. To be honest, what I really want is a Wald Large or Extra Large front basket, but don’t have the $35-50 for a new one. I haven’t seen any way of purchasing a used one. They certainly don’t seem to be coming up on E-bay.
This whole rack is made up of recycled pieces that otherwise would’ve been thrown away. The washer lid came from our own clothes washer, which gave up the ghost a couple months ago. The legs are from the push handle which came with our Rhode Gear bicycle trailer for converting it to a stroller. The rear attachment was an old, broken A/C tool. The hardware is from bits that I have been collecting for years.
I have to be prudent about what to keep and what to throw away, because we only have so much room, but what I cannot keep, I try to put in the right recycling receptacles at the landfill. Having said that, I do like to keep various bits and bobs from my various mechanical ventures and jobs over the years, because they can often come in handy with my projects.
I must also say that a good battery-operated Sawzall and drill are indispensable for home bodge jobs:)